2022 Citizen science to calculate Varroa economic thresholds.
BC-TTP will need the participation of beekeepers in British Columbia.
When? March 31, 2022- March 1, 2023
How? Beekeepers will be asked to join a webinar or watch a video on how to upload information to three online surveys, including:
-Region of BC where bees are kept
– Mite levels in the spring (March to June) and fall (September to November)
-Method used to calculate mite levels (i.e. alcohol wash, sticky papers, or icing sugar)
-Colony strength in the spring (March to June) and fall (September to November)
-If a treatment was used to control mites (e.g. thymol, oxalic acid, Apivar®)
-Honey yield (March 2023)
-Overwinter colony mortality (March 2023)
Who? Beekeepers in British Columbia with at least 1 honey bee colony.
Important Note: All the information will be kept private. The data will be used to calculate Varroa Economic Thresholds (ET) in different regions of BC.
I WANT TO PARTICIPATE!
- See the video below for instructions on monitoring for mites.
- Send us an email to confirm your participation at firstname.lastname@example.org
Complete your monitoring and submit your data. There are two ways you can send the data
a) By filling out the online surveys for:
- We will post updates on the project on this page or follow us on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter @bc_ttp.
- If you’d like to share your experience or progress (optional), use the hashtag #BCTTPvarroa to post your pics of varroa monitoring.
- Share your feedback, questions or comments with us at email@example.com
- Share the info with other beekeepers, associations and local clubs.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
#BCTTPvarroa #BCHoneyBees #IPM #VarroaMonitoring #HoneyBeeHealth #PollinatorHealth #CitizenScience #FeedBC #GrowBC
Thanks to our collaborators:
Dr. Leonard Foster, University of British Columbia
Dr. Olav Rueppell, University of Alberta
Dr. Rob Currie, University of Manitoba
Dr. Ernesto Guzman-Novoa, University of Guelph
From the British Columbia Honey Producers Association (BCHPA):
Heather Higo, President of the BCHPA
Jeff Lee, Vice-president of the BCHPA
Kerry Clark, Past President of the BCHPA
Julia Common, Member of the BC-TTP Steering Committee
Liz Huxter, British Columbia Bee Breeders Association